Re: OT LA sunday night candlelight vigil

all,

i'm passing this along to those of you in the los angeles area. this is not
meant to express an opinion to the group, rather it is to announce an
event for
those like-minded among you who might wish to participate in a peaceful
gathering of solidarity with others who advocate world peace and
understanding...

Dear Friends,
Please join together at the Westwood Federal Building on Sunday at 8:00 PM
for a 45 minute candlelight meditation for a peaceful response to the
recent
terrorist attacks.

Please forward this email to everyone you feel would be interested.

It is safe, our presence is welcomed, we can give voice to our perspective
through a silent sit.

I spoke with the FBI Agents currently guarding the Federal Building and
they
actually were outspokenly in support of a candlelight vigil. I also called
the FBI office in the Westwood Federal Building to let them know that LA
Dharma was hosting a silent candlelight vigil Sunday night from 8:00 - 9:00
PM. They were glad to know and had no problems with the event.

Here is the procedure to follow:

1. Parking is available off Sepulveda at the Sports Center and the baseball
field across from it just North of Ohio.

2. Please wear white. Bring matches or a lighter to light your candle.
Bring
a cushion to sit on. Candles inserted in paper cups will be provided.

3. Proceed to the Corner of Wilshire and Veteran where monitors will give
you your candles and further details.

4. As you may remember, the Federal building is surrounded by concrete
pilars about 45 inches high. Each meditator will sit with their back
resting
on the pilar holding the candle during a 45 minute sit. There will be no
speeches or bull horns or banners.

5. The following was sent to the press:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 15, 2001
Media Contact: Michael Shiffman
Voice: 310-479-8774
Fax: 310-473-0899
Email: shiffman@gte.net
An Open Letter Opposing Violent Retaliation
The world remains shocked by the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center
and the Pentagon. This horrific loss of lives seems unbelievable as we
watch
rescue efforts at ground zero. There is no justification for these
heartless
acts, no life affirming causes are served.

At this time, the United States stands at a pivotal point of historic
proportion to lead the nations of the world to eliminate international
terrorism. As Americans, we fully support the conscious awakening of the US
government to the need for ardent, systematic, and forthright efforts to
transform this immense tragedy into a sustained international program to
eliminate terrorism as a viable political option.

Neither surgical strikes nor sustained military campaigns can defeat
terrorism. Terrorists seek not to control a political geography, but to
inflict pain and suffering on a people; to demoralize them by destroying
their sense of safety and create an atmosphere of fear, distrust and
isolation. A violent response only escalates the cycle of violence. We only
need to look to Belfast and Jerusalem for evidence of this truth.
Eliminating popular support for the outcome of terrorist acts is the only
viable way to defeat terrorism. Only when a people changes its view of the
perpetrators of violence from martyrs who further their cause to
misdirected
zealots causing unimaginable harm to themselves and others, will the
perpetrators of terrorist acts stop of their own accord.

A transformation in consciousness regarding terrorism can only be
accomplished through a political discourse that creates the possibility
that
all peoples and all nations have some efficacy over their destiny. All of
us
must have some hope of a life worth living, of the possibility that the
world around us will improve. We all recognize the enormous inequities and
suffering throughout the world. There are no simple solutions to the
famine,
disease and economic disparities among nations. These complex problems can
only be resolved through a clear understanding of their origin and viable
opportunities to implement complex strategies for their elimination.
Vicious, inhumane terrorist attacks appear as the only viable option when
cries for freedom and economic survival fall on deaf ears.

At this critical juncture in history, we implore President Bush to be wise,
moral and deliberately ethical in his choice of actions during these
difficult times. We ask that he rise above the ugly demands for retaliation
and revenge and give voice to the best thinking and most compassionate
hearts of the American people.

Please, President Bush, listen carefully, look closely, and act prudently
eliminate terrorism for all of humanity! This is your unprecedented
opportunity to become truly Presidential and serve our nation and the world
with dignity and honor.

Info: For more information call 310-479-8774 or visit www.ladharma.org