RE: memory and improvisation

At 11:32 AM 9/24/2001, Liebig, Steuart A. wrote:
>an interesting sidelight - - and maybe one more in keeping with the topic
>of this list - - is how to use looping in improv. if one is looking for
>complete freedom and non-repetition (if that is one's definition) in
>improv, it seems that looping can hinder that "complete freedom." the
>very
>fact that something is looping in repetition can be a lock.

I think that is a question of the looping techniques you have at your
disposal, and the extent to which the tools you use support an
improvisational approach. And the extent to which you have become familiar
enough with those techniques to comfortably work with them live. looping
definitely doesn't have to be locked with the same thing repeating
forever!
To me that is really the entry level of looping, and moving past that to
solve the problem you mention is where it really gets interesting.

I think it is very interesting that Matthias, who defines himself
musically
as an improvisor and brought this topic up, is also the main inventor of
the Echoplex. It is interesting to see how one affects the other;
Matthias'
needs for being able to use and manipulate loops in a very spontaneous way
during improvisation has very much to do with why the echoplex works the
way it does. And using the echoplex for years in improvisational looping
continues to inspire ideas for the next generation of it. He created tools
to solve his problems and meet his needs. Or perhaps you could say, he
created a given set of improvisational looping techniques and then created
the instrument to enable him to do it in real time.

Similar for my role in it, like Matthias I find I'm only interested in
improvisation as a musician and it's been that way for me since I was a
kid.  Maybe that common interest is why we are able to see the vision of
the thing well enough to work together on it without too many major
arguments. ;-)  Certainly though, I think that very tight focus on
improvisational looping in it's inventors is what makes the echoplex the
unique thing that it is. The tool is really the embodiment of our thoughts
and ideas and techniques in answering your question, of how do you perform
and improvise with looping?

kim