RE: New Thread: Classical Music Influences on Us

Welcome, Carl Jacobson!

>I am so happy I found this list. Since I moved from NYC, I've kind of felt
>like an island re: this kind of music. I joined this list because I heard
>there was a discussion about Plasma, one of Cakewalk's loop-based
>products.
>I never expected conversations on these topics.
>
>I've been on a Scriabin kick lately, especially the Piano Sonatas 5-10.
>Any
>opinions on his music?

Yes, I just got a piano concert of his. Its very impressif in the
beginning and then somehow cannot round it up... I wonder about the
Sonatas...

For the first time I traveled with a PowerBook (which makes live
totally diferent, even at home) and kept putting it on friends CD
colections and suck in whatever I thought was interesting. So
sometimes I did not care enough about documentation... amazing that
many classical recordings are not on CDDB...

Anyway what I found of interest:

Fauree Requiem. Just beautifull!

Friedrich Gulda: A wild Austrian piano player, exellent Mozart
interpreter, but also improviser, composer and friend/partner of
Chick Corea. I dont think he is still alive.
I have seen him playing years ago, finalizing a city open air
festival. It turned into an incredibly unifying event since he
touched every group of the society. He is equally funny and deep,
free and acurate. So is the CD I found, him playing his own
compositions.

Monteverdi, allways.

Richard Strauss: Die vier letzten Lieder. His testament. Very ripe,
and prety concrete: He interprets poems almost word by word.

Talles: Somebody mentioned him... he made a work for 30 voices or so,
a terrifically dense choir, completely ahead of time! I lost the CD...
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org