RE: New Thread: "Classical" Music In

Title: RE: New Thread: "Classical" Music In

I'm not that big a fan of Shostakovich, other than the humanitarian side of
his story. Composing under a comunist regime. Stalin wanted him dead, but
his 5th symphony was so well received that it basically saved his life, etc.

This opinion is only based on what I've heard: some Piano music and
symphonic works. Is there anything special about the String Quartets?

** hey, yeah i'm not huge on most of shostakovich's music. for me, the symphonic music i've heard isn't to my taste, the quartets are pretty great.

my theory is that the symphonic stuff (and other music for larger forces) had to be more in line with the official desires, as it's more "public" - - the quartets are (possibly) more "private" music (and possibly more indicative of his "real" artistry?)

prokofiev also had problems under stalin - - ironic that he and stalin died on the same day.

stig