expert modified the A/D signal chain

> andreas said
>
>  >I had both my G-Force and the EDP modified in the A/D
>  >signal chain by an expert tech last year and they are much better now,
>  >clearer sounding and better dynamics for shure. He didn't promote this
>  >me, only offered this after I kept complaining.

matthias said

>  I think we talked about this privately, but you did not mention who
>  did that and how.
>  It seems like magic or cheating: How can anyone simply improve such
>  elaborated stuff? For the EDP I could explain it with my own
>  stupidity, but t.c. high end units??
>
>  >...he worked on the analog side of the
>  >signal path both on the input and output. He has a copyright on this
>(you
>  >can buy it here as a pretty expensive stand alone, the 'Effects
Legalizer')

>  Is that on the net somewhere? What copyright... a patent? So its public?
>  Can you describe what the improvement sounds like?
>
>  >Of course the easiest way is to get a decent mixer and run everything
'wet'
>  >from the effects through that.
>
>  you mean one 'Effects Legalizer' would improve the whole studio?

I think it just means that the significant quality loss on something like
reverb is due to degradation of  the dry signal, so using a mixer bypasses
this.

>  >You just can't use compression, filters,
>  >pitch and other 'destructive' effects that way.
>
>  what does it do to those effects then? I may not understand this
paragraph...

>  Thank you for all this shocking interesting information!
>  --

If you can buy it as a stand alone I assume that means its some kind of
impedance matching interface.

In terms of output, I've seen top line studio gear that used line driver
chips on the output. I guess the idea is that a chip designed to send a
signal down a mile long cable without degradation is not going to be
compromised by whatever it is you plug it into.

It also seems to be standard practice to eliminte all electrolytic
capacitors
from the audio signal path.

andy butler