RE: Buying equipment based on looks

At 02:52 PM 10/16/2001, Per Boysen wrote:
>> Maybe I've got strange taste but to me the EDP looks really "cool". I
>guess mainly because the design is somehow "un-cool". I mean, it really
>can't be sorted into any certain decade - it's simply timeless. Ok, it
>could be something from the early eighties just because the logo text
>says "Digital Pro", as if some "magic words", more important to drop
>than other words describing what the unit actually does. Typical 80s that
>is ;D

Kim...
> glad somebody properly appreciates that touch. :-)  To me the name is
>all about irreverence towards stupid traditions. I had a lot of fun with
>it. The fact that we had the audacity to use the name "Echoplex" still
>makes me
smile. I love spearing icons like that. kim

I spent a few moments really looking at my older Oberheim EDP last night
and have to say it looks good to me! I like the little musical note next
to 'Oberheim'... I kind of liked the Oberheim colors before the EDP. I
remember Chris Muir had a 'blackface' one (not sure if he got to keep
it... maybe you have it Kim?) which I liked more at first. But the fonts,
legibility and functionality are right on. I can't figure how you'd get
that much information on there and 'improve' it much. I've grown very used
to the EDP as a looping 'icon'. It's awesome... now my quandry is that if
I buy another one (which I'm sure to do eventually), I'll have a faceplate
mismatch due to the newer Gibson logo. I'm sure I'd appreciate the more
robust knobs Trace has added though. The EDP's fine... let's see that new
s/w!

-Miko