Re: Scratch - the movie

At 12:04 AM -0800 3/6/02, Andre LaFosse wrote:
>A big part of my current view on using the EDP actually comes from what
>I'd call a post-DJ mentality.

I suppose you might say that my approach stems from a pre-DJ
mentality, although I'm now interested in checking out what the DJs
have been doing.

I consider a lot of what I do to be "sound collage" and I've been
doing it in various contexts since 1969. I started thinking seriously
about this kind of sound art after hearing recordings of John Cage,
David Tudor, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Luciano Berio, et al. in the late
'60s (my inclusion of some of their music, along with my other early
influences such as the Who, was a deliberate homage in my Loopstock
performance).

Cage's Variations IV, with its environmental audio collage of
recorded, broadcast, and live sound sources, was a particular
inspiration, and it was after attending two Merce Cunnigham dance
performances with music by Cage, Tudor, and Gordon Mumma that I was
inspired to do my own first multimedia piece with indeterminate
multichannel surround sound. I prepared four tapes, to be played back
simultaneously on a quartet of tape decks, each with its own
autonomous operator. My production tools were two tape decks, a Nagra
for playback and a Tandberg for recording. Each had a particular
transport quirk that allowed a certain range of playback or record
manipulation.

The Nagra had a clutch lever that could be pulled out while the tape
was playing. Pulled out a little bit set it into fast forward;
pulling out all the way put it into reverse. I developed a technique
for continuously "scrub" the tape back and forth, very much like
vinyl scratching.

The Tandberg had a small lever that would pinch the tape and prevent
it from moving. This was no doubt designed for cueing during
playback, but I used it while in record mode as a way to punch in. An
interesting artifact was produced during the brief interval while the
record tape was coming up to speed. This would produce an effect on
playback of a sharp attack with a quick downward glissando. In
several passages punched in repeatedly over the same section of tape,
creating a sort of stutter effect.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com