Re: Firesign Theatre

"Chris Richards" <kohntarkosz@yahoo.com> put forth:

> <<firesign theater reference?????>>
>
> I just got their Waiting For The Electrician Or
> Someone Like Him and Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand
> Me The Pliers on CD a couple weeks ago!
> Apparently, all of their first four albums have
> been reissued on Columbia/Legacy recently (as in
> the last few months, I believe).

How fortunate for everyone!  Waiting for the Electrician or Somebody Like
Him has been out-of-print for years, ever since Sony bought up the catalog
and decided that it would be best to just have a Best Of collection, which
goes to show how much they understand THAT humor!  I remember a lot of
nervousness from the previous publishers, an early high-quality mastering
bunch who'd published everything before The Giant Rat of Sumatra.  I recall
the guys saying something about it during the 25th Anniversary show at the
Wiltern, back when I was still a free American... Amongst the missing items
I'd wanted to get (beyond the adventures of Hemlock Stones, the Great
Defective, who had a taste for "Uncle Sigmund's Peruvian Cocoa Powder"),
was
"Everything You Know Is Wrong!", which is apparently only available (if at
all!) on video tape.

> What's funny is I have an old copy of How Can You
> Be In Two Placees At Once When You're No Place At
> All a couple years ago, which is also on
> Columbia/Legacy, but it's seems that they've
> reissued again, as part of the above mentioned
> series. Seems kinda odd to reissue an album
> twice, on the same label, possibly from the same
> master, a couple years apart, just to coordinate
> the artwork and all that or whatever.
>
> Then again, Rykodisc did the exact same thing
> with most of the Zappa catalog back in 95 as
> well.
>
> "Malcolm X John Lennon! Come in here and dig your
> mother!"

Send her back for re uh, grooving!

I remember some disappointment after trying to complain to Ryko about the
questionable quality of some of the issues from FZ's catalog, most of all
Zoot Allures, which STILL has an unforgiveable and abrupt volume change in
the middle of "The Torture Never Stops".  It makes the song unlistenable
unless you like to wait with baited breath for the moment that you have to
turn the volume down quickly.  Perhaps if I ever get the time, I'll fix it
myself, and send a copy to Ryko out of spite.  Arrgh!

In balance I must praise the issue of "Live in New York", which includes
all
of the songs performed at the two shows in 1976.  The LP didn't include
"Cruising for Burgers", for instance, nor did it include "The Torture Never
Stops".  All Hail Ruth Underwood!

Shoes for Industry!

Stephen P. Goodman
EarthLight Productions