RE: naiive asks about Boss RC-20

I use the mighty Boss RC-20, so I'll try answering this, though
I think the answers will be true for other loop devices as
well.

The way the RC-20 works is you hit the Record/Overdub pedal,
and it records whatever signal(music) is going in.  It keeps on
recording until you hit the Rec/ODub pedal again.  Then it
immediately repeats what was recorded, over and over,
indefinitely.  There is no decay, and no provision for a pause
between repetitions.  If you want a specific number of
repetitions of your loop, you'll have to count them as you
perform.

In order to add a silent delay between the sounds, you would
need to record it into the loop.  Eg. hit the Rec/ODub pedal,
record sounds, either stop making any sound or mute the signal
for the desired 'delay', then hit the Rec/ODub pedal again.

Once you have recorded sound/silence in a track, the Rec/ODub
pedal will layer new sounds on top of the first.  All of this
together is your loop, and the RC-20 can play only one loop
at a time.  It does have the capability to store 11 loops, but
they must be played independently.  If you are starting from
scratch in a live performance, the multiple loops won't do
you any good, though you might consider a low level pre-
recorded drone, such as an organ chord, as background.

The 5.5 min recording time is available to a single loop.

Yours in rhythm,
Steve