Re: Boss RC-20

What I observe is that as an overdub is added, the earlier
material is slightly lowered in volume.  This makes sense-
otherwise your loop would get louder and louder.  I have
never noticed a drop in volume from the loop just playing
without additional overdubs.

Trying to control the result of the RC-20's built in
feedback parameter via i/o levels might be possible,
but _very_ tricky.  You could perhaps start with low
input gain and high output level, then as dubs are added
shift both so the volume remains constant.  The dubs
would be recorded at higher and levels so they are
louder in the mix.

A couple problems with this:  First it would take a lot
of dilegence to tweak the knobs just right.  Second, there
will be good levels which keep your noise floor down and
avoid clipping, so only a narrow range of the controls
will probably be practical.

Incidentally, since you are considering the Line6, I'll
offer that the Repeater might also be a good solution.
The price difference between the RC-20 and Repeater is
a lot less than when I bought the Boss pedal, but the
Repeater does way, way more.  Particulary, it does
four simutaneous tracks, each of which can have an
independent level.  Sound useful for your application?

I hope this hope your dissonant cognition.

-Steven