Re: Pitch-shifting percussion sounds & Latency rant

> > Another technique is to perform a live spectral analysis then do a
> >  resynthesis on the result.  But between the two, you scale the
frequency.
> >  This also preserves the formant structure of the sound so you don't
>get
the
> >  "Mickey Mouse" effect.
>
> Is that how the "popular" Antares autotune does it's stuff?

I couldn't say about that 'cause I'm not familiar with the Antares.

> >  On my Kyma system I observe about a 68 millisecond
> >  delay with this technique.
>
> Which is way too long.

Yes, it's clearly audible!

> Guess you have to have a delay long enough at least for
> half a waveform of the lowest note in the range (maybe
> a whole waveform?)

And that is exactly what's going on.  You can adjust the lowest-freq to be
analyzed, which then determines the latency.  There are other parameters
that probably also affect the latency.

Dennis Leas
dennis@mdbs.com