CALL FOR PERFORMERS: Y2K2 LOOPFEST (aka 3rd annual santa cruz looping festival)

Dear Loopers,

I would like to coridally invite you to come and perform
at the 3rd ANNUAL SANTA CRUZ LOOOPING FESTIVAL
on Saturday and Sunday, July 13th and 14th.  This is already shaping up to
be the largest
gathering of live loopers ever and we are going to have a blast.

There are a very limited number of spaces still available, so I will give
them out on a first come, first serve basis
to everyone who will submit a CD, cassette or mini disc of their work
(sorry, those are the only formats I own).
Please send submissions ASAP to:

Y2K2 LOOPFEST
c/o Rick Walker
412 Darwin Street
Santa Cruz, California

If you don't make this performance, don't fret.................more are
coming, I promise you................!!!!!

There are a lot of caveats for this performance (due to the very large
number of performers in a small amount of time).
PLEASE READ VERY CAREFULLY the text below to make sure that this Festival
is
your cup of tea.

I'm in the midst of trying to have a commercial release of my live looping
CD,  "Translucent Dayglo Green Plastic"
in time for this event so I, unfortunately, do not have a lot of time for
correpondance.  Please forgive, in advance for
my craziness...............................well, here
'tis.................hope it looks good to you all.

ALSO, and this is important   DO NOT USE LOOPERS DELIGHT TO CORRESPOND WITH
ME!!!!
Please write me directly at GLOBAL@cruzio.com
I may not have time to read all the posts due to my heavy schedule of the
next month.

yours,  Rick Walker

DESCRIPTION and RULES of the FESTIVAL:

This entire festival will be a complete benefit for the
CAYUGA VAULT (in other words there will, regrettably, no
performers fees or expenses) which is the last
affordably rentable venue left in Santa Cruz County
from the ravages of the dot.com real estate wars.
The tickets will probably be $20/for both days
or $12/per day.

The festival will be a two day affair and will be a
'sampler' styled festival:  in other words, we will be
showcasing a large number of loopers (we're anticipating
between 30 and 40 loopers will perform from all over the country).

Before I talk about the logistical details for this festival
 I would like to apologize to you in advance for
asking you to participate for free and at your own travel expense.

It is, regrettably, the only way to make this event be successful
to help the CAYUGA VAULT stay in business, thus insuring the
future of looping  (and singersongwriter/modern dance/poetry)
events in Santa Cruz.

 It feels silly, frankly, to ask you to perform
for free and at the same time give out a large number of
rules for how the performance will go down.  Unfortunately,
in order to accomplish the scope of this festival which will, I am
hoping, be the largest event (in terms of number of performers)
in looping history,  we will have to be very communal, selfless
and disciplined about pulling it all off.

The whole point is to celebrate the diversity and incredible spirit
of our looping community again (thanks so much for Loopstock, Hans!!!!) and
to try to continue to promote creativity through
looping.   I hope you can make it.

OK, HERE"S ALL THE STUFF YOU WILL NEED TO KNOW
IN ORDER TO COME PERFORM:
 To  accomodate everyone (and to keep the production from
being a nightmare of logistics and communications) we will
adhere, very strictly to the following format:

Each person will have no more than:
20 minutes to set up there gear
(so keep your setups simple and portable)
30 minutes to perform
10 minutes to hustle gear off stage.

Everyone will get a 'last song signal' five minutes before their set is
scheduled to end and anyone who takes longer to set up than the allowed 20
minutes will, regrettably, have any extra time taken
off of their performance times.

As anyone who has ever played this kind of festival knows well,
everyone who wants to participate will need to be disciplined
and I , as stage manager, will be very strict about hustling people on and
off stage.
DON'T be offended by me..................nothing will be personal, I
promise
you..........I'm
just tickled pink that you are here to play.

Please understand that by being a strong stage manager I
will just be trying to make sure everyone who wants to will have the same
chance to perform.

ALSO REMEMBER:
The venue is very small and only holds 75-90 audience members and there may
be 20 or 30 performers there at all times
 so in order to maximize the benefit to the Cayuga Vault
there will be, regrettably and consequently,

 NO COMPS AT ALL!!!!

There will be two stages (like the LoopStock  festival in SLO) but
in a much smaller venue.There will be a main stage with a good P.A. system
(powered mackies) and then there will be a blitzkrieg stage without a p.a.
for guitarists/bassists or any loopers who can bring in a small  portable
self powered soundsystem (solo amplifiers).

I hope you can make it.  I think we are going to have a blast doing it!!!

So I need to know if this interests you and I need to know a couple of
things from you:

1)  Do you want to perform?

2)  Which day is preferable for you to perform and at what time?
(I'll try my very best to accomodate everyone's wishes but please forgive
me
if I can't grant every request around this one (just think about pleasing
40
people and you'll get where this might not work out perfectly).

3)  If you are coming in from out of town, would you like floor space to
crash out at one of the many local loopers homes?
Local loopers, I you can put someone
(or several people for that matter) during the weekend, I'd love it if you
would contact me so that I can coordinate sleeping arrangements.   I can
have a large and inglorious slumber party in and around my teaching studio
(ala Hans little Loopstock
slumber party)

Just let me know and thanks for wading through this whole proposal.

yours, in the spirit of creativity and community and looping,  Rick Walker
(loop.pool)