The RIAA are a bunch of commies

I think what it comes down to is that the RIAA is
realizing that they and the record companies they
represent are fastly becoming obsolete, and
they're doing everything they can do stop that
from happening.

I have one question: if a song of mine gets
played on a webcast just once, how much will I
get from the RIAA for that broadcast? Will it be
substantially more or less (or the same) as what
I stand to make if someone hearing the broadcast
decides to buy my CD (which for the sake of
argument, let's say can be bought from me
directly for $10).

My point is, a seriously doubt that most of the
artists out there who might concievably get
webcast airplay. Unless we're talking about Led
Zeppelin or The Who (who can played like 10 times
a day, everday on each classic rock station in
America), I seriously have a hard time
understanding how anyone stands to gain from
this. I don't know what the advantage is for
getting a check for 7 cents because a college
station in Alberta Canada or New Jersey or
wherever played one of my songs at 4:00 am. But I
DO know the advantage, if, say, 10 people who
hear that broadcast (and let's just for the sake
of argument say 8 of them are listening to the
webcast), decide they like what they hear and
follow up and actually buy my CD. If CARP ends up
pushing all non-commerical broadcasting off the
web, I think we end up losing in the wrong run.

=====
May you never thirst!
The Scuba Diver Presently Known As Chris

"What do you get when you give a yo-yo to a flock of flamingos?"-James
Earl Jones