Re: CARP Passed - This sucks!

Since we are talking about $$$ here etc, I have a question that no-one seems to be able to answer ...

not even say Josh Wink or King Britt have an answer or perhaps they dont wana tell me...but I wonder if in fact they really know how its "all" accounted for in their music beyond any licensing or one off remix fees they get up front.

how do you make $$$ off of dance music and get paid for your music as it climbs the so called dance charts?.

I've never understood how you get paid royalties for dance music and performances of your music by DJ's in clubs...and who collects them and then how do they pay you ?

Who tracks that activity and how is that covered in terms of any type of statistical sampling that they do which is perhaps like the methods used in tracking radio airplay?

I mean it seems to me that u dont have that type of consistency or any type of organized effort or designated "group" to monitor, collect or distribute $$$ earned or  attributed to or generated by "dance music"...am i wrong here?

Anybody who knows the answer to this question would have my deepest attention and would satisfy a very immediate & long standing curiousity i have had for the last yr & most intensely in recent days.

Anyways, re CARP, hmmmmm..

I think selling music and CD's etc is a thing of the past and that asking for people to buy a musical commodity is more or less a thing of the past too reagrdless as to whther u are established as a "brand" or not.

Nowadays (again IMHO) you gotta make and expect to generate money from live performances and or other things which have nothing to do with music, but are essentially where your music or "brand" (if u are so lucky to have one established of yourself)  will sell other things ie., clothing, cars, etc or ideally establish for you access to an audience where u can sell whatever merchandise you would have to offer them.

Seems like the trends today are you set up a licensing fee-structure (which is perhaps a screwover IMHO ) as that your work gets used and reused continually long after you have been bought out & bought out way SHort of what you could ever maximize from your music...
(but again the royalty based system isnt a stellar example of money getting into the hands of artists and maybe there is more logic in getting all your money loaded to you up front)

The Music Biz will never be as simple as being good, or bad or deserrving as much as it is about what types of perceptions you are able to either create for yourself or moreover buy and perhaps also be about how many other people you can make wanna be like you. - I always think that is key to any entertainment-music based success - u gotta make em wanna be like u.

So IMHO the pressing issue for musicians becomes how to enagage more than just your own thoughts & desires for fairness and how u get your own music heard and distributed while also generating some type of consistent or semi-reliable revenue stream(s) for yourself and how ya would act to create opportunities to do what you "need to do" for whatever reasons u would do it individually or collectively etc..

I think that stuff like CARP is trying to force the industry's denial of its inevitable demise on the music market in order to delay the inevitable ISP's and Microsoft ( I thin Bill Gates wants everyone to focus on his operating system and how thats the root of his evil when in fact its a red herring as he is on to other things which wil have deeper reach than an OS ) from becoming the new model record industry and record labels.

i do think that being prepared for this inevitablity and being aware that music doesnt get heard by you being there with good intentions places any musician in the position of thinking beyond the basement box and thinking more toward a sustained survival as opposed to taking what you get thrown at you by chance.

& yeah The "sky" either fell a long time ago & or no one cared but you can still save yourself from marginalization and look more at developing a niche beyond what is already presnt within your own particular style of music you would play.

i think you can choose how yould interepret the colors of your own sky and also how you would define and nurture your own audience or supplement your income if you find happen to yourself playing music that the masses dont care for en masse, but you can still be IMHO relevant and off the map of the masses and still draw income - though not nearly as much as you would pleasing the masses.

but Music is a hussle even if you are doing it for just the art...

you gotta hustle and wheel and deal just as much as the big boys do and a lot more in the end if u aint one of the big boys or girls.

& I also think that Andy Warhol would probably see the art in all this insanity and say it was marvelous.

& BTW, Speaking of Webcasting:

AKASHRADIO4 is Live and On-Air: Devoted to Hard-Bop, Free-Jazz,
Experimental-Classical Compositions & some very
challenging free-form/experimental perspectives from
Key Jazz Artists :ie., The West Coast's AKASHA, Michael Cooke & more.
http://mp3.com/stations/akashradio4

AKASHRADIO2 Features Mostly J-Pop and Japanese Electronica
http://www.mp3.com/stations/akashradio2

& then 1st AKASHRADIO:
Features Loop Orinted - Electro, Dark Ambient-EBM, Darkwave, Punk,
Free-Jazz, New Age, Noise & Progressive Electronica +
Tons of MEGA-Spaced Out-Bliss & Chill:
http://www.mp3.com/stations/akashradio

           Seeya on tour in your hometown very soon :)

   "Remember To Always Kill Your Expectations"
                                AKASH
            "The World's Most Erotic Band"
             http://www.mp3.com/akashmusic