Re: CARP passed- this sucks.

>and I'm still not seeing how this whole CARP thing takes that away. All
>the
>possibilities of DIY are still there, and the internet still offers it.
>It
>seems to me it is even better now because musicians have another way to
>get
>paid for their work.

I've been holding my tongue in this debate, but I feel Kim is missing a
pretty important point.

I'm going to go out on a limb and pull a figure from my butt.  It's a
figure based on my own random sampling of internet stations over the last
several years.  And that figure is that less than half of the music that
is offered for streaming on the internet is music from RIAA aligned
musicians.  That is the big problem.  It's not like these royalties will
be administered by ASCAP and BMI (like on commercial and non-commercial
radio currently).  This is cash going straight to the RIAA for ALL music
being played on the internet.  I actually think that "less than half"
figure is insanely conservative.  So now you have independant stations
supporting the major labels even if they don't play major label music.
There is no way to call that fair.

I also run a label.  I webcast songs from the CDs on my label.  There is
no mechanism in CARP to compensate me as the copyright holder.  If I paid
the fees for webcasting, I would not see one cent of them in return.
Beyond the idiocy of making me pay to broadcast music I own, the problem
is that I wouldn't even get any of that money back.  That is theft.

   Kevin

Kevin Goldsmith                          kevin@unitcircle.com
Unit Circle Media                   http://www.unitcircle.com