Re: need some advice on hand drums

Hi Phil!

> i just got back from africa and bought a couple of
> drums. i've been told that untreated drum wood from
> africa can unleash woodworm and other things into
> one's house, so i was wondering if anyone has any
> advice on how to deal with this.

I had this problem with drums from Haiti.  They released tiny beetles that
ate *everything* including all untreated (unfinished) wood.  They even ate
into my vermicelli boxes, flour bags, and Kraft Macaroni and Cheese!

I called the "bug man" from Purdue U. and he had two suggestions:
1) Put the drum in a plastic trash bag with a "no-pest strip."  Seal the
bag
and let it stand for 2-3 weeks.
2) Take the drum to a meat locker and freeze it for a couple of weeks.

I proceeded with (1) and solved my problem.

Hope this helps!  (And have fun with those drums!)

Dennis Leas
dennis@mdbs.com