Re: Gig Report: Portland LoopFest A-Go-Go

At 10:36 PM -0800 1/12/03, dgoat wrote:
>Greetings all!
>
>Well, the very first Portland loopers gig has come and gone, and it
>was a mad success, far beyond what I had dreamed it would be. We had
>a great crowd (over 125!) and actually made some money to distribute
>to all of the people involved! We had ambience, noise, rock, jazz,
>funk, spoken word, experimental, folk, minimalism, etc. Basically,
>just about something of everything! Improvization seemed to be the
>common thread throughout. List members Neil Goldstein, Dave Trenkel
>and myself all performed along with several other local Portland
>loopers.

This was a fantastic show, JD, Matt and I had a great time playing,
and we really dug listening to everyone else. It was a remarkable
range of music, and, surprisingly enough, as Mr. Goat pointed out
that night, no frippertronics :-). Twayne and every one else deserve
mad props for pulling this off, I know what a headache it can be to
organize something on this scale, and the evening was very smooth,
even mostly on-time, surprising given the number of acts and amount
of gear. I was also very pleased to see such a large audience. Maybe
there's a future for this looping thing!

>Last for the evening (and best) was Admiral Twinkle Devil (Dave
>Trenkel) and the Turntable Enabler. Dave had an absolutely HUGE
>assortment of devices that he ran an electric piano and Nomad
>keyboard through, including a Repeater and a JamMan. His turntable
>co-hort used a Repeater and other devices on the turntables, and
>definately played them as a musical instrument. VERY impressive.
>Now, not only did they have the mounds of gear (a full music store's
>worth it seemed) but they also brought an excellent sax player with
>them, who squalled and melodied his way through the textures with
>tenor and soprano saxes. A fine, fine closing act.

Thanks for the kind words, I'm blushing. I had some technical
problems, not unexpected given the amount of crap I was using, but
fortunately Matt and JD could more than pick up the slack.