Re: Fripp in LA

> >  It's refreshing
> > to see someone that's not content to sit on their laurels and rehash
their former
> > glory (or worse yet, to keep playing the same old tired material from
20-30 years
> > ago). It might be what the audience wants (or thinks they want), but I
can't
> > imagine it would be satisfying to the musician.
>
> After a Tom Paxton concert, I thanked him for performing songs from his
first album
> even though it was thirty years old.  He responded, "I'm from Oklahoma.
We believe
> you dance with the one that brought you."
>
> Jethro Tull still does "Aqualung" and "Locomotive Breath" every show.
They damn well
> better. (-8

It's not whether somebody performs old material or not.  It's whether they
do it with passion or just go through the motions.

When you dig in a mine, you might first be after only gold.  When the gold
is exhausted, you can start a new mine, perhaps looking for the same ore
again.  Or you can change your vision and find many other things of value
in
the same old mine.  But you don't want to stay in the same old mine simply
because it's a comfortable place.  Then it becomes merely a hole in the
ground.

Dennis Leas
dennis@mail.worldserver.com