Re: Refining performances (previously, RE: Real instruments...)

Indeed- but even string players break strings etc- I was not referring to
AOG (act of god) type events. I saw a sitar player break a string, quietly
replace it,
and continue his performance- no fidgety nervous apologetic distraction-
and
I really didn't mind- the only example you give which relates IMO is the
forgetting to erase the previos loop. And in my case I will be mixing
improv
pieces with written ones. There is no saying you can't experiment live etc-
but just to be as comfortable, intimate, and familiar with your setup as
possible. An accident is one thing- incompetency is another.

In my case- I need to rehearse my "looping" compositions- again I would
refer you to Jimmy George or Andre LaFosse- I am more or less never
distracted by the equipment and can stay involved with the music- that is
what I want. I've made it challenging though to be sure- D-Two, EDP, M-One
(pre and post), Repeater, drum machine synced to EDP (but maybe Repeater)

It gets hairy forgetting to disengage the Repeater midi sync and creating
new loop on the EDP- or leaving the drums up and all of the sudden you hear
the beat go to 300 bpm. This is only one of many things I see in my current
setup- and I consider trimming the possibilities down to avoid such
results.
We must remember to keep OURSELVES in the musical moment as well- which
goes
hand in hand with this whole topic.

Cliff