Re: Throbbing Gristle tape looping

Heh!

I think the immediacy you get with direct mechanical control of the
media is the main attraction for these kinds of rigs, besides the
innate raw machine aesthetic.

You could do what I am guessing Peter did, which is remove various
switches and pots from the car stereos, and wire them up directly via
longer wires to a control panel. Take a bicycle brake lever and cable
and attach it to pull the pinch wheel away from the capstan...this
might give you a rather Gristly speed control that would be hard to
emulate with a digital sampler.

For theremin like control, I can think of a couple ways to do it, but
they require either lots of money or lots of hardware hacking skills,
or some of both. Translating a gesture into a voltage and then into
data and eventually back into a mechanical movement seems kind of
silly, but anyway:

1. You could buy a MIDI theremin and an AMX or Crestron control
system, and program the AMX to read the MIDI and translate it into
emulated IR remote commands for any cassette decks that have remote
controls. This is sort of an absurdly expensive of approach, but
could be done quickly by anyone with the cash.

2. You could build a PAIA theremin kit with control voltage outputs,
and program a Basic Stamp or other microcontroller kit to translate
the CV's into relay closures or other triggers that press the buttons
on the front panel of the cassette decks. For someone with a moderate
amount of electronics hacking skill this would cost a lot less and
not take forever.

-Alex S.