Re: Hey! I'm loopin' on TV!

--- Travis Hartnett <tiktok@sprintmail.com> wrote:
> Looping is killing music?  And all this time I
> thought it was synthesizers that were doing that.
> No, wait--drum machines.  Or was it electric
> guitars?  Or long hair?  Or race music?  Drugs?  The
> flat five?  This is all so confusing--can someone
> help me out here?
> (Wistful, concerned expression)

At the gig, when the guy came out with that statement
about electronic instruments replacing "real" ones,
Jeff Lomas was standing next to me (he and Michael
Lameyer were on next). I could tell from the fiery
look in Jeff's eyes that he would have loved to
address the issue right then and there, but there
wasn't time. I think one thing that was misunderstood
was that many of us, in addition to doing solo
electronics-oriented stuff also *do* play regularly in
more conventional ensemble settings. Sure, the
economics of live performance can change, but to blame
the demise of the Big Band, popular more than half a
century ago, on a few folks doing non-commercial
improvised ambient music in a small art gallery is
pretty misguided. By comparison, and as somewhat of a
reality check, the greatest impact I've ever seen
*anything* have on my earnings as a member of an
ensemble was a decade ago when the 'Unplugged' boom
hit and club owners realized it was more profitable to
hire one guy with an acoustic guitar than a whole
band, and most of the places to play in my area (which
until then had been more than thriving) dried up.

> I will say that if I was you, I'd be sure to sample
> this guy's monologue and use it in many future
> performances, as you continue to kill music.

Oh, I will! And I'm sending a copy off to Jeff Lomas
this morning that he'll post on his site
<http://www.randomsalt.com/> so you guys can sample it
too! Hmmm, I've already sealed the package; maybe I
should've included an audio file of just the
monologue...

-t-