Re: Line 6 filter pro review

At 04:29 AM 7/9/2003 -0400, SoundFNR@aol.com wrote:

> > has anyone been loopy with the Line 6 Filter Pro rackmount deal?  I am
> >  interested because of the time sync as well as the ZVEX and Electrix
> Filter
> >  Factory presets.
>
>  <A HREF="http://www.loopers-delight.com/LDarchive/200208/msg00355.html">
>Click here: Line 6 filter pro review</A>

I've had a Filter Pro for a few months, but (due to integration issues)
I've finally gotten it completely up and running with my rig only within
the past couple of weeks.  Overall, I'd agree pretty much 100% with Andy's
review, but since we're on the subject let me throw in a couple of other
tips...

First, I'm driving the Filter Pro's synthesizer models using a synth patch
that's merely a monophonic sine wave.  This results in much better
tracking, and only a little latency overall.  You may also need to play
with the octave tuning between the input and output notes.  Remember: a
higher note has a faster wave cycle, so the tracking logic can zero in on
the pitch a bit more quickly.  If possible, try to track on a higher note,
then use the 'detune' function to bring it down to the pitch you want.  In
general, the GR-700 and X911 models are nastier than I remembered the
originals being (but 'nasty' in a good way), and, just as Andy pointed
out,
the Synth-O-Matic is actually pretty damn kewl.

Next, when I first bought it, I thought the filters were a little on the
tame side.  Not enough to consider selling it, mind you, but not as punchy
as I would have liked.  Then the other night I was playing around with my
audio patchbay, and accidentally routed the left channel output back into
the right channel input.

Wow!  I don't know why doing this hadn't occurred to me before, but
suddenly *there* was that fat analog filter sound I'd been seeking.  The
only thing I don't like about this setup is that it collapses everything
fed into it back into mono, but I might try experimenting with splitting
one output, then both feeding that back in and mixing it with the second
out for pseudo-stereo.

Of course, if you try this you probably need to be very cognizant of your
gain stages.  Otherwise, there's the potential to overload one
channel.  I'm lucky in that I can control the output levels on my rig at
several different points, but all standard disclaimers apply.

         -c-

_____
"i want to reach my hand into the dark and *feel* what reaches back"
                                                 -recoil