Re: Gibson Echoplex inpt level?

At 12:55 PM 7/14/2003, DialaThos@aol.com wrote:
>Just curious if anyone knows... on the Gibson Echoplex units (white), are
>the
>input resistors still the "modified" type described on the LD FAQ?  As in:

>Change R10 from 2.21 K to a 10.0 K 1% metal film resistor>>>

I think they all had that change, but maybe there were some early ones in
that phase that didn't.

>Mine seems to have too much gain on input to really handle a preamped
>signal,
>and does seem a little sluggish (but workable) on output.

the purpose of the input stage mod was just to make the knob work in a
more
useful range. If you have too much input signal, turn the knob down. If it
is all the way at the bottom of the range, then probably your unit doesn't
have the gain changed.

With the mod, there should be enough gain through it to convert from a
-10dB signal to +4dBu, if that were your goal.

>   Of course the
>input was also totally fried when I bought it, so I'm always wondering if
>the
>distortion I hear on input is some kinda residual "stuff" from that
>repair
>job.  I
>seem to be able to get distortion without the input LED even turning
>anything
>other than green.

In your case then, impossible to say. Maybe it is damaged. You could just
open it up and check the resistor values to know if that is the issue or
not.

kim