RE: (affordable) stereo (live) looping?

--- Catilyne <catilyne@icicle.net> wrote:
> Those are some of the same questions I had.  I was just looking for
> something official to confirm the darn thing was undeniably mono (thanks
> Tim).  Even if the loop time were cut in half, it would've been nice
>having
> the option to choose between longer mono or shorter stereo loops.

Definitely! I'd easily trade a 60 second mono looper for a 30 second
stereo loop.

> >Too bad these boxes don't have an open firmware spec where you could
>program
> >things yourself...
>
> Well, in light of the different mods out there for the Jamman or PCM-42,
> I'd also wondered if there were any possibility for asking/harassing
>Line 6
> for just that sort of thing.  Probably would have been better timing to
> start doing it last year, though, before they dumped the units out of
> production...

But, you must remember that the people doing those mods were the original
developers of those products (no longer employeed by the company), and the
mods
were only available after the products were discontinued. Any Joe off the
street
isn't going to be able to update the JamMan ROM.

> Although it sounds as if Mark actually tried to explore that
>possibility,
> and ran up against a brick wall.

I think that was Eric. But I wonder who the person he talked to at Line 6
was
truly reprentative of their attitude toward this. There's a vast difference
between talking to the person that designs and maintains the firmware on
the box
and some minimum-wage flunkie they might have hired to man the telephones
for
"support". I've been told things by "support" people that were not only
incorrect, but didn't reflect the way the development organizations felt
about it
at all. OTOH, if that was a developer, then we're out of luck getting a
decent
looper from Line 6.

Greg