RE: developing musicians and a musical culture

Nick,

Right or wrong, to quote John Scofield, "if you only know bar cords, you
will only play in bars!"

How can you break the rules if you don't know them? I've seen many
players come and go. Almost always, the people that have done their
homework, spent countless hours polishing their craft are the artists
that have some brilliant careers. You might break thru not knowing much,
but almost always that type will fall into obscurity as time passes.

Hmm, you said ' scales and chords can only get you so
far, as well as can stifle musical creativity.  '

Chords are built from steps in a scale. If you don't know any scales,
what are you able to do? What can you create? Do you have any idea how
limited your musical vocabulary would be? Chords are colors. Different
scales played over chords also color the 'mood' of the composition.

Example:        Imagine I put a white canvas in front of you. You have
no experience with paints, brushes, pallet knives, etc. Then to top it
all off, you get only white paint.

I disagree with you. I still believe fundamentals are very important. If
you learn to use a certain type of brush stroke, you know what to expect
from that. After, YOU GET TO DECIDE, consciously or unconsciously if you
will use that while you paint. The technique is available to you. If you
never learn it, you can't use it.

I think it was Miles that said 'There are no wrong notes, just better
choices.'

Respect

Will Brake
Soul Fruit Electronics