Midi Evolving?

Saw this blurb in the August issue of EQ magazine:

Midi evolves?

Imagine our surprise (and intrigue) when we saw this recent news post on macmusic.org: "The upcoming IEEE P1639 MIDI standard is coming! The IEEE Standard Association is preparing a general wrapping standard to unify by the end of the year MIDI transmission over Ethernet networks or IEEE 802.11 wireless devices. The standard is still based on the oldie-but-goodie --- well, sort of --- old MIDI standard. But now the interfacing is no longer linked to a particular hardware, so hasta la vista to the old 31,250 bits per second from the beginning of MIDI, and hello to 10 megabits of MIDI data per second." Stay tuned.

fastening my seat belt,

Tim F