Re: Syncing Echoplex with JamMan?

At this year's Loopstock, Jon Wagner, Bill Walker and myself performed a
"loop trio" improvisation in which my JamMan (upgraded with Bob Sellon's
latest upgrade chip) was syn'd to Bill's Repeater and Jon's rig, which, if
memory serves, had  both a Repeater and an EDP in it.  MIDI sync is
possible, but it best if the JamBoy works as "slave".
We exerpeienced no serious glitches or meltdowns...tho' that was a primary
concern; none of nknew for sure if it would work!

It is important that your JamMan be set to a corresponding MIDI-note value
to the EDP, otherwise there are some loop trucations and reset dilemmas to
face. (Jon and I experienced this while "experimenting" with the notion
back
in Jan.)

I believe the EDP's MIDI clock is fairly stable, much moreso than
JamDude's
(although, the newest chip does seem to improve the stability of MIDI in
the
JamPup).  Loop length may also be an issue, as you cannot take full
advantge
of the EDPs incredible memory (wel, you can, but the JamBoy wil glitch,
cough, hiccup sputter and such...which can also be fun).  If you are using
any other MIDI controlled devices it is wise to use a MIDI routing matrix
of
some sort...or better yet a MIDI patchbay with a MIDI Filter to filter out
extraneous data and commands which can choke the the MIDI clock signal.

Let us know what happens....I am always intrigued by the possibilites of
"multi-looping"..and hope to perform some more "loop ensemble" stuff (with
JamMan sync'd to...whatever) at the Y2K3 Festival coming up in Oct!

Max

>From: "Chris Payne" <soundboot@o2.co.uk>
>To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
>Subject: Syncing Echoplex with JamMan?
>Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 15:30:24 -0400
>
>Hi all, newbie here!
>I have an Echoplex and will be playing with somebody who has a JamMan. Has
>anybody had experience syncing these together? What can I expect and what
>can't I expect?

<b>MSN 8:</b> Get 6 months for $9.95/month.
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup