Re: Hardware vs. software etc... (Re: £900!!!!!!!!!!!)

I'm skeptical, and there's no way I'm going to use the same computer
for musical performance that I use to check my email and all my other
mundane computer activities.  My home computer is too valuable to take
out of the house, and ditto for my dedicated HD recording system.
So, for me it would mean buying another laptop for this hypothetical
looping software, which means that I'm back to using dedicated hardware
for looping, and the cheapest laptops are the ones with the worst
latency/reliability issues.

Plus, as soon as someone cooks up the "EDP in software" app, people are
going to want the ability to run a bunch of VST instruments and other
audio apps concurrently on the same box, and I can't imagine that there
aren't going to some painful latency/glitch/crash issues that I
wouldn't be willing to tolerate on dedicated hardware.  Plus, you can't
rackmount a laptop in any easy manner, and I'm always going to have
some rack gear at the gig, so I'd really like to have everything bolted
down into the same box if possible.  And every laptop I've worked with
emits a huge amount of electrical interference within three or four
feet.

TravisH