Re: reaktor, MSP, etc

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kim Flint" <kflint@loopers-delight.com>
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2003 4:36 AM
Subject: Re: reaktor, MSP, etc

> talk talk talk. Like I said, I'm tired of talk. I want to see results.
Just
> show me a serious looper made with Reaktor. How about yours?

I personally haven't built mine yet, but I am working on it, so I can't
show
you anything per se.

> I keep hearing the promise of greatness and never seeing it in the
>result.
> All of the loopers I've seen built this way were very limited and
> amateurish, and had very few modern looping functions. I'm beginning to
> think that is all I will ever see from this modular do-it-yourself
software
> approach.

The thing that I think you're missing is this: the "modular diy software"
can do ANYTHING if you put the time into it.  You say  that you spent a
shitload of time building the echoplex and I believe it, but no one ever
said that you can make live looping interfaces on software in a "few days"
as you said.  It takes effort.  A lot of effort.  The reason that you hear
people raving about the software loopers is because you can take an
"amateur" one, as you called it, and tailor it to do everything you ever
wanted and more.  That is something that you can't do with hardware.  I
can't go and take the echoplex and re-wire the boards if i wanna add a new
function (i guess theoretically i could, but it is SO much less practical
than doing it through software).  I'll bet you anything that someone (not
necessarily on this list) has a looper on reaktor or max/msp that can do
everything you want.  Maybe they don't feel like sharing it at the moment,
though.  As you said yourself, making a loop sampler takes a ton of effort,
so maybe this person doesn't want to openly share their creation now
because
of all the work they put into it.  I mean, do you give echoplexes away for
free??  I don't think so.  Reaktor and MAX/MSP are really intense
interfaces
because you can do anything and everything.  Go check out a book on them if
you want to see.  Or download the trial version of MAX/MSP.  Look for some
max/msp looping interface and see if you can modifythem to add those
features oyu want.  If you find that you can't, that hardly means that it's
not possible.  It just takes a lot of dedication and work.

-Nick