Re: What it means to build vs. play...

I think another point that Andre's analogy misses is that we're not
really building instruments from scratch like one would a violin when
we create a looper (or other processing chain) in Reaktor.  Now, I
don't know the program at all, but I've fooled around with Max, so I
get the basic idea.  It's much more akin to someone going out and
buying a carbon graphite neck, basswood body, Kahler bridge and
Spertzel tuners.  When I was shopping for a Stratocaster, I did not
like the standard $400 model that Fender was selling at the time, so I
got a G&L Skyhawk instead.  The tuners weren't as stable as I thought
they could be so I put locking Spertzels on it.  The pickup selector
switch was in the wrong place for me, so I put a Starr switch in so I
could get more combinations and not have a toggle switch in my hands
way.  Did I build an instrument?  Not even close.  Wouldn't try to.
However, I did create a custom instrument for my specific needs, just
as one could create a custom processor in Reakor.  I think it's better
to think of Reaktor like one would think of a modular synth, not like
buildling a Stratocaster from scratch.

Mark Sottilaro