Re: Looping with other musicians, new tools=new results

In regards to looping with other musicians/instruments,  a couple of
important issues come to light:

I am quite fortunate that have get to work with many different musicians
in
a variety of different, and disparate, styles.  I always bring at least
one
of my loopers to the party, and usually find musical ways to integrate
loops
into a performance.  Of course, this intregratuin must be appropriate for
the tune/setting.

In all cases, that dreaded “drift” becomes an issue.  I have found some
ways
around this, but first let me ask if your loopage in an ensemble situation
is meant to be a continuous static event?  If that is the case it makes
this
all most difficult.  In these situations I have found that  using short
loops as sonic or rhythmic texture allows for a great amount of
flexibility
in regards to interfacing with “live” playing.  Re-triggering such a loop
is
really quite easy and often can add some very creative tension and
dynamics.
  Using loops with live players as a continuous or static event presents a
plethora of problems in regards to timing, drift, and sync.

The essentials for rectifying any/all of these is knowledgable and
open-minded musicians who don’t mind, or can adjust to, playing with a
“click”, and a reliable and complete monitoring system.

A constant, repetitive loop is much like a click, and “good” players
really
should not have a problem plying to it, yet, as so it does tend to limit
any
possible rhythmic or harmonic dis-placement within a performance.

For working in “traditional” song forms, I have found that using small ,
textural loops which are somehow connected to the harmonic “center” of the
passage work much better than long loops which try to follow the ABABA
type
of form.  It is much easier and more musical to “integrate” shorter loops
into a live musical performance than to work with longer, strict loops of
verse/chorus.  For this type of thing I think it might be better to just
use
sequenced parts (which is that whole other thread…)

In regards to time, sync and drummers:  Since when is it the drummer’s or
bassist’s responsibility to keep time/tempo for others?  One thing I
stress
in bands for which I play (and usually in a role of MD), as well as to my
students, is that it is NOT the role of the rhythm section to “keep” time
and/or tempo for the other players.  That is an individual responsibility
of
each player, and if you cannot manage this elementary discipline then you
are really not ready to “play”.

Music, in an ensemble, is made just as much by the interplay and dialogue
between the players as it is by the notes played.  This dialogue is not
constrained or perfect.  The imperfections, the drift, the push and pull
on
the beat defines the quality of the performance and makes the music more,
for lack of a better word, “human”.  This, of course, creates a certain
dilemma for live looping with an ensemble, as loops tend to repeat
themselves quite deliberately, and as “perfect” as they were originally
played.  Short loops, good ears (and monitors) and a certain flexibility
from the players involved are necessary to intergrate looping into a
“real-time”, live group performance.  I think the key work here is
“integrate”, as one would hopefully want the loops to be part of the
“live”
music; and not vice-versa.

Max

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/parental