Footswitches and choices (was electrix repeater wanted)

Title: Footswitches and choices (was electrix repeater wanted)
Hi Christian,

Switch, and other physical noises

The difficultly of replacing the Line 6 switches will depend on the type of switch. If they are "momentary" (i.e. connected when you press, open when you release) then it should be possible to wire external switches in parallel to the internal ones. You could then use EDP type buttons, microswitches or what ever suited you best in a separate box. How good are Line6 with this kind of support question?

The EDP certainly has quiet switches that can be operated with a toe. A Repeater will need a MIDI foot controller, or the Digitech footswitch so switch noise (and creakings from the case) will depend on that. (I use a Yamaha MFC10 rather than the Behringer). I've noticed the "tempo" and "loop" knobs on the Repeater make a clicking sound when turned which gets picked up by vocal microphone in studio. Digitech footswitch info in archive: http://www.loopers-delight.com/LDarchive/200104/msg00030.html

Looper Choices

Repeater, EDP, Line6, other? Different tools each with their strengths. Which tool you choose will depend on how you want to approach the task of looping and how you integrate it with your playing. Worth having an in depth read of manuals available on the Internet:

http://www.electrixpro.com/
  • manual_repeater_E.pdf ;
  • manual_repeater_addendum_E.pdf ;
  • repeater_os11notes.pdf

http://www.aurisis.com/products/loopIV/loopIV.html
  • LoopIVGuide.pdf (link above)
  • EchoplexPlusManual12.pdf (don't know if this is out there yet)

I'm sure loads of people on the list will be able to point up where each unit scores. A few observations from me:

Echoplex
  • software is beautifully thought out, subtle with powerful features to organically evolve your loop and plan your exit strategies.
  • fast and sure in use - it does what you tell it on the button
  • "hands off" operation - with the footpedal and feedback pedal you can do pretty much everything hands free. With a MIDI controller and the v4 Presets feature you can get to everything with your feet.
  • You'll want a second one, a third ......

Repeater
  • record your loop separated into four tracks with faders
  • memory cards
  • long loop lengths possible
  • time stretch and pitch shifting are amazing fun.... not perfect but very handy.
  • cannot go directly into "overdub" from "record"
  • quirks in the MIDI synchronisation - can misread clock at double speed
  • "beat detection" can interfere with timing precision
  • software very unlikely to be upgraded beyond v1.1

Hope this is helpful.

Best wishes