Multitracked Live Looping -- advice for budget

multi-track looping--
well, my advice if you're on a budget:
get a 4-track recorder and buy a answering machine looping tape at
radio shack (they are probably online also and away you go. i have a
20 sec loop and it works great w/ my old tascam 4-track (you can get
one of those fostex or
tascam 4-tracks for 99$ now!-which is the cost i had to pay to get my
old tascam porta 05 up and running).

and if you get a footswitch to turn on/off, you can use it live (better).
i just push buttons, works for me....
my advice though w/ this setup is to have some type of 2nd
looper-device available (well, i have 4 other options).
but the 4-track is great for setting up material to play against.

cons:
midi/time sync-FORGET IT! (you'll have to practice your looping
chops) (although
i've heard of people recording a click track and going from there).
if you're hoping for delay-based sound on sound-you're limited to the time
of your looping tape, etc and remember it's really a tape loop not a
delay loop.

the fun thing: if you do some short delay loops w/ alternative device pre-
4-track you can then record that to have short loop repeat in long loop....

again, this set up is a little archaic, think of it as the "budget
solution to
rfripps original setup", but it is cheap (or cheaper than the top of
the line looper options), and it can be a fun way to create loop
sonic madness.....
my 2 cents for the day....
s---
ps-didn't i just read about some musician who's the son of a famous
other musician who some of his performances is linking a bunch (3 or
4) 4-tracks together and playing? i thought i saw a web pic somewhere
of him performing live, and it was a funny looking chain of 4-tracks
on the floor w/ him playing guitar....can't remember the name
though....