Re: Guitar Craft (was new lingo)

>I would expect that over time you'll develop patterns in the new tuning in
the same
> sort of way that you did under the old tuning.

My own reading of Guitar Craft is that (among other things) it attempts to
establish "conscious" patterns rather than "unconscious" ones. Part of the
approach is to shock the participant into a new state by removing familiar
signposts, such as the standard tuning one might be used to. Even if one
returns to familiar ground (and I have a fond memory of rediscovering the
7#9 chord in the new tuning), one is informed by a collective approach
(from
close examination of technique and exercise to how one contributes to the
household) which leads to a fresh use of that material. A lick becomes a
tool rather than a ball and chain. And the new tuning discourages mindless
blues/rock-based wanking for sure.

> It seems to me that the GC Primary exercises are specifically designed to
> establish patterns within the player's "basic repertoire".

I'd say the exercises - often a re-presentation of already available
exercises - establish conscious patterns of technique, not musical content.
But hey, cats'n'kittens, this is rather off topic. Does anyone know where
ELSE one might DISCUSS Guitar Craft issues? I know of the diaries and the
King Crimson sites, but the Old Fripperoo seems to discourage any
back-and-forth discussion without his control. Off list please, e-mail me
privately.
Douglas Baldwin, coyote-at-large
coyotelk@optonline.net