RE: Bose Offers New Take on Live Sound

--- Mike Barrs <mbarrs@nightviewer.com> wrote:

> I don't know... maybe it's a revolutionary advancement, but Bose isn't
> exactly a respected name in live sound (that's putting it mildly).

For SURE! And from the ones I've heard, their stuff deserves every bit of
contempt that it receives.

> One potential problem I can see is added feedback problems with acoustic
> instruments and vocal mics. When I'm playing acoustic guitar instead of
> electric, I can at least angle my Mackie SRM450's so they don't point
>right
> at my guitar, and make feedback control worse. I don't see how this
> "radiant" system will be able to avoid making feedback on stage worse
>than
> it is with more direct-throw speaker systems.
>
> I also don't get the idea of putting the mains in the backline. Check out
> the graphic at the top of this page from the Bose web site, for the
> suggested arrangement onstage:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/sqfr
>
> Sound volume follows the inverse square law for distance. Wouldn't you
>have
> to run the thing painfully loud for the musicians, in order to get enough
> SPL's in the back of the room for the audience?

Yeah, absolutely right! So you have a bunch of deaf musicians with a buncha
feedback. I'm sure they have some kind of "optimal solution", like using
contact
piezos and running instruments direct instead of using mics.

> Well, that's my initial take, and I'm a natural skeptic. Maybe this is
>the
> greatest thing since sliced bread.

Good luck.

Greg