Re: Bose Offers New Take on Live Sound

Catilyne wrote:

> Also, speaking of 'content-free', has anybody been able to dig up a power
> rating, dB levels, or anything to give one an idea just how loud these
> things really are?

The article urled below says each column has 24 30W drivers in it, that
is 720 W per, not counting subs.
Who knows what the amps can deliver.

http://www.boston.com/business/globe/articles/2003/10/20/acoustics_a_new_approach_to_amplifying_live_music_aims_to_cut_distortion_and_reverberation/

btw the inverse square 'law' is only 'enforced' for spherical radiation.
I think cylindrical radiation falls off at 3dB per doubling of distance
instead of 6. How low in frequency they're able to maintain something
like a cylindrical response from a five-foot tall line-array, I don't
know. The
MA-12(http://pro.bose.com/pro/dd/product/pdfs/Panaray_MA12/MA12TechData.pdf)
probably shares some lineage with this new product, and claims
cylindrical radiation only above 2kHz. Still, that would seem useful for
gain before feedback and coverage concerns, if one uses the backline as
the mains as the monitors.

In my opinion, using the mains as monitors is often viable. I used the
mains as monitors with my band for years, and used the monitors as mains
with the Kronos Quartet in some pretty big halls. The annoying part of
the marketing to me is not the concept or technology but the claim that
it's all so innovative, but what else is new?

-Alex S.