Reasons to Loop (RE: WHERE ARE THE OTHER LOOPERS?) and gig spam--Dad's Restaurant in Poway, CA

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Barrs [mailto:mbarrs@nightviewer.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 7:41 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: RE: WHERE ARE THE OTHER LOOPERS?

<snip>

I know of a half-dozen looping guitar players on the jazz guitar Usenet
group, and another half-dozen or so on the acoustic guitar Usenet group.
I've mentioned Looper's Delight as a resource several times, but they'll
probably never show up here as full-time participants.

These musicians use looping to simulate a backup musician in traditional
song formats. They're not interested in ambient regenerative loops, or
topics discussed in the "Why use 2 loopers?" thread like sliding two loops
against each other in pitch or time. That's a totally foreign concept.
They're using loopers as basic tools, like a distortion or chorus pedal.
It's a way to solo on top of a chord sequence.

So there's two things going on here... they don't NEED a deep discussion of
looping techniques, and two, they probably can't relate to the
predominantly
ambient/texture (or whatever the heck you call it) musical style of many
musicians on this list.

P.S. I'm a 'trad song format looper, and I have no problem with what I see
as a pretty strong "ambient/texture/soundscape" bias on this list. I just
cherry-pick the topics I'm interested in. But I skip a lot of stuff, just
because I don't have TIME to interact fully, and the ambient stuff isn't my
personal thing.

----->I too usually try to play song forms that I think people can follow,
but I am starting to consider a different approach--partially because of a
quote I read from an interview with the comedian Steven Wright.  He was
talking about an art teacher he had in college--evidently SW is also a
painter--who was critical of SW's too realistic approach to painting,
saying, "That's what photographs are for."
So maybe the other loopers will eventually have a reason to search--I know
found this list four years ago when I was starting to really try to get the
Jamman to do what I wanted, using Cakewalk on a laptop to help trigger
it--never did give me what the EDPs do . . .
Also of note: I will be playing a Southern California wildfire benefit this
Saturday from 3 to 4:30 pm at Dad's Restaurant in Poway, CA (12735 Poway
Road, Poway, CA 92064)--and I will have my loopers with me--probably only
be
brave enough to do between song noodling with them, rather than a full
onslaught--but who knows what will happen if list members show up to
encourage me!
Gary