Re: MOTU 828MkII as a Poor Man's Switchblade?

The 828mkII has four busses.  You can route the four busses independently
any of the outputs on the back of the thing: ten balanced 1/4" analog outs
and digital out.  For each bus you can set the levels of each of the input
channels: eight balanced 1/4" analog ins, two pre-amped ins on the front,
and digital in (?).

All four busses can be active at the same time, or muted individually.
Although the muting process involves a knob twiddle and push.

So, you could set up two different busses to say, outputs 3-4 where your
looper is attached, and have certain input channels muted for different
busses.  So, Mix 2 sends all inputs to outputs 3-4; where Mix 3 sends only
analog inputs 1-2 and 5-6 to outputs 3-4 and everything else is muted.  Mix
1 is pointed at outputs 1-2 which is sending everything to the house PA or
DAW, so the "audience" hears everything all the time even if your looper
only hears what you're sending it on Mix (bus) 3, or 4.

You could toggle between these mixes by muting them on the faceplate of the
828mkII.  There's no MIDI implementation for manipulating mix presets at
all
yet, unfortunately.  Although it seems like something that wouldn't be that
hard for them to add in as a software update.  Buy one and bug MOTU.

Good luck.

-J