OT: Broken MOTU 828

I know this is off topic, but I was led to the 828 by people's posts on
this
list so I figured I'd try.

I bought an 828 mk2 off ebay. It arrived, looks brand new, but the display
is incredibly dim. It works, but it's so dim as to be unusable. It has
very
intermittently worked at full brightness, but I can't for the life of me
find the problem (took the top off and wiggled all possible connections).
know this is a long shot, but has anyone with any experience with the
828's
every had this problem?  Is it a simple fix? An expensive repair?

I know I can send it back to the guy, but I got a good deal (maybe now I
know why) and I don't want to let it go if I can help it.  I talked to
MOTU
and they say to be repaired by them it must be registered, which means I
can't send it to them to fix.  Anyone know of repair shops that work on
these units?  Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks and sorry for the
OT again.

Jason