real time audio to midi sync analysis

Hello all Loopers!

This is my first post to the group. I checked the archives, but I didn't
find quite what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a device which will listen to a real-time audio source
(such as a drum microphone or drum trigger) and calculate midi sync info
to be sent out as master clock to my DAW applications like Ableton Live
4 or Logic pro 6. I'm not doing dance music or DJ stuff. I'll be doing
this live with a band onstage. I'd also like a footswitch-controlled tap
tempo function to quickly get the beat analysis quickly "in the zone".
Hopefully, once the initial beat sync analysis is done, it would be more
or less automatically reacting and listening to subtle changes in tempo
during a live performance.

For example, I'd like to play a guitar riff, loop it (in tempo with the
band), then mute the loop when I'm tired of it, but then bring it back
in later while still being in sync with the band. I do NOT want to be
following a click track or a metronome! I don't want the drummer tied to
a click! I want the click/sync following to the band!

Any info would be much appreciated.

I use a powerbook with mac OS10.3

Thanks,

Griff Peters