Re: Off Topic? I'll give you Off Topic!!

I'm not sure why we are talking about this, but I'd like to chine in a correction.
Unlike fast food chains, Sbux does not experience store to store leaching due to
area saturation.

It seems most people are only willing to walk a few block for coffee. Thus, stores within blocks of each other tend to have unique clients. This is a trend that market trackers have commented on and marveled at for years.

Also, back to wish you can hate them but they are so PC, Startbucks, I believe....don't have facts on this, has a program to help support the mom and pop coffee shop. I have heard this where all those rumors come from. I forget the details associated with the rumor.

They also help support local grower and their environment. They are not just taking coffee for todays profit. They insuring that growers stay around and the land is managed well.

There is no reason to love big buisness. In the world of big buisness, Starbucks is the lesser.

At 2:24 AM -0700 8/6/04, Gary Lehmann wrote:
>Why is Starbucks evil?  Or rather, how?

For me the main thing is their predatory business practice of opening
stores in the immediate vicinity of established neighborhood coffee
shops. They'll even saturate a neighborhood with stores to the point
where each one has reduced profitability, but the company itself
still see snet profit.. This can have the  effect of "starving out"
the local cafes, leaving Starbuck's with all the customers.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202