Re: Using pre-recorded material in performance

>I'm curious as to how many people are using some form of
>pre-recorded material when they play out, and what the audience
>response has been.

I've gotten the impression that purist loopers have some disdain for
backing tracks of any kind. Maybe it's because some people think
looping should be about pure improvisation, and so the use of backing
tracks would compromise the integrity of the craft? Could be.

Like anything else, I'd say it depends on what your creative goals
are. I can see how someone could creatively use backing tracks and
improvisation to create some great music. I'm guessing many people
here already do exactly that.

I'm interested in using backing tracks for a U2 cover band I'm
sorta/kinda trying to put together. Backing tracks are essential
components of several of those songs, so I'd use them without
hesitation. And the fact that I spent the time learning the parts,
playing them, programing the equipment, and so on, ought to count for
something.

I sent a message to another list on this very question (about using
backing tracks live), so I might as well see if anyone else can help
me out here too. I have a Powerbook G4, DP 4 and MOTU 828, Reason, a
Yamaha Motif keyboard/sequencer, and a pretty decent sized rack full
of guitar gear + a Ground Control Pro to control it all with.

My question: What's the best way to go about making my backing tracks
and then triggering them to stop/start given this set up? Should I
use the Motif to program the MIDI events in DP, then drag the P-book
and Motif out to gigs? Would Ableton Live be a better option? If so,
why/how? I've also heard of people doing their programming at home
and then putting the tracks onto a MD player and simply taking that
to the gig. I assume stopping and starting it would then be done
manually?

I'm still new to all of this stuff, so any help would be appreciated.

And speaking of being new to all this gear and needing additional
help...does anyone know if the EDP video (dvd??) is still in the
works? I remember hearing about it a long, long time ago.

Thanks,

Jeff