RE: Using pre-recorded material in p

First let me say that I have no problems with the use of “canned” parts,
pre-recorded loops or sequences in a musical presentation.  I have, in
fact,
been quite guilty of this in the past; sometimes using as many as three
drum
machines, sequencer, and pre-recorded loops burned onto a CD (a little
trick
borrowed from Rick).
Yet, I no longer do this.

In just about all aspects of my music (composition, improvisation,
recording, performance), I continually ask myself one question: “why?”.
Why
am I using this phrase, scale, part, loop et al.? Why does this work.or
why
does it not work?  And I think it important to ask ourselves this in
relation to the use of canned tracks.  Mark made some interesting points,
and I think many have taken note of that.  As to the separation of
artistic
statement and entertainment, let us not forget that the “show” element of
what we do, music being the most intangible of art forms, is important and
not really separate from our “artistic ambitions”.

Technology, as we loopers are so aware of, has made it possible to do so
much with sound. Yet, I am constantly reminded of that old saying, ‘just
because you CAN do something does not mean you necessarily SHOULD”.  So I
ask, why do you want/need to use canned tracks? To flesh out arrangements?
To perform as a one man band, and cover “all the bases”?  Quite often
technology makes is quite possible for mediocre music to be made which
sounds quite good, yet on a little deeper listen runs parallel to “The
Emperor’s New Clothes”. ProTools, Laptops, software pgms, drum machines
etc.
have made it totally possible for even the marginally talented to make
really cool sounds, and in this course lower the bar considerably.  Duke
Ellington once said, “If it sounds good, it is good”.  Yet sometimes
“good”
is just not good enough.

My own experience has been that playing solo bass with loops captivated
audiences.  Even though many could not quite fathom what was being done
(and
at times a brief explanation of the process did help things along), the
fact
they could see/hear me making loops and playing to/with them was
intriguing.
  It was a performance, albeit one quite unlike many had ever seen (face
it..one guy playing bass and doing complete compositions is a bit…
er…”different”). I did use drum loops and other sequenced bits, and when
they would kick on a great number of the audience would lose attention.
The
machines, regardless of how cool they sound and tricks they can play,
cannot
replace the “humanity” and errors of something played.

And, quite often, in performances, which rely heavily upon canned tracks,
sequencers etc., there is a greater possibility of meltdown; the more
things
that can go wrong insure that some most certainly will.
And, especially in my case, too many buttons and options kept my focus on
the buttons and options and not on the music (ever notice how at many
loop/sequence performances the performer seems totally mesmermerized by
his/her own gear?). Simplicity is a really nice thing (eh, Ted?)

In the world today audiences are inundated with performances, which rely
quite heavily on sequencers, canned tracks etc. Concerts have become
“spectacles”; perfected and entertaining yet retaining none of the
idiosyncrasies which make music so endearing.  And so, we now are
witnessing
a shift in popular tastes.  Audience are once again clamoring for “real”
performances, regardless of how high caliber the playing is, to once again
feel “the magic”.

This is what makes looping so unique.  It is played.  And, it does not
have
to an improvisational tool, although this is the road many of us take (and
fine road to take indeed).

My dilemma was how to maintain the contact with audience.  I began
programming drum machines on the fly for performances (a nifty trick which
someone with the skills of Rick Walker or Matt Davignon might be able to
pull off better than I) which did captivate the audiences more..but was a
little time consuming, and prone to “pilot error”.

Then I began learning to play the drum parts, and other instrument
mimicry,
on my basses in real time as I looped the parts.  This is a hit. No, my
“bass drumming” does not sound as cool as a drum machine, but it works
just
as well…perhaps even better.

As musicians it is easy for us to be awed by someone’s programming
prowess,
the cool filter treatments of sequencer et al, but that is really lost on
an
audience who merely wants music.  My own take on things is that if I am a
soloist, using loops, I embrace the limitations of the position.  I will
use
those limitations to make music as richly as I can, without trying to
sound
like a complete orchestra (my own feelings here are an audience quickly
becomes tired of hearing more sound than what they can fathom a single
player can create). Along the way I learn more and more about both the
complexities and simplicities of musical expression, develop skills and
playing techniques, and learn to be more engaging as a performer.

Yet, I must say, I greatly enjoy performances which do use canned tracks.
Watching someone pull it all of, like Bill Walker (who uses a few “peater
loops on card), is exhilarating and inspiring ( Bill would be both of
those
just alone with an acoustic gtr…heck, for that matter a dulcimer!).  If
the
use of tracks is your “calling” then by all means proceed….with all the
wit,
passion and knowledge you can muster. But, to be fair, first ask yourself,
“why?”.

A little more than my $.02

Max