From: Krispen Hartung [mailto:info@krispenhartung.com]
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2004 11:52 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: 30 Minutes of Live Looping Videos!

Hello all -

Finally!!! I have some live looping videos to share.  :)  On September 28, a producer at a local public access TV station shot me looping live in their studio.  My 30 minute performance (4 songs) will be aired on the station for a program called "Boise City Limits".  After hours and hours of tedious and agonizing S-VHS to DVD to .MPG to .WMV video conversion, and from 2.5 Gigabytes down to 45 MB, I now have the four songs available on the Zed:

Note: If you can't click on the URLs below, or if they are broken with a carriage return, you may have to copy them end to end into your browser.

Song Title: Quiddity
Notes: A variation of a song I improvised for my next CD, "1/6"; sort of menacing and dark; the producer was obviously fascinated by my stereo EDPs, because at about 2:18 the camera pans in on both of them, and you can see the digits cruising and the functions changing.

Song Title: Alice in Cyberspace
Notes: Spontaneously composed on the spot in the TV studio; weird and abstract, but my favorite; for you jazzers out there, see if you can recognize two of the melody quotes about 6:15 minutes into the song, one of which I used to title the song; remember those intense, finger stretch jazz chords I shared with the group a few weeks ago? I'm using some of those starting at 5:27

Song Title: Off-Centered Blue
Notes: Spontaneously composed on the spot in the TV studio; I have an infatuation with the concept of blue, hence the title of this song and one of songs on my prior CD, "Impossible Shade of Blue"; the producer also added a blue shade of light on me while I was playing

Song Title: Slipstream
Notes: A variation of an improvised song played live at a local festival; the more melodic of the four songs

All in all, they did a fairly decent job on the videos, surprisingly so because in addition to one full-time seasoned camera man, there were two newbie film students who had very little experience with the equipment. The producer was able to adapt to this in the studio by giving them instructions over their headsets and switching camera inputs as they came into his master recorder.  The cool thing is that the TV station did all this for me for NO CHARGE, and as a result I have a nice promotional DVD.  Can't complain about this!!!

Cheers,

Krispen Hartung
http://www.krispenhartung.com
info@krispenhartung.com