Re: Invasion of the body synapses

I think the key to the examples you've given is the
cross-pollenation that happens when cultures meet. In
this case, it had ping-ponged back and forth
repeatedly. You could trace threads through it many,
many ways. Rhythms from Africa mutated when brought to
America, spawning blues, jazz and rock&roll, which
inspired British skiffle groups, which turned into the
British Invasion, which via the Ed Sullivan show and
similar outlets, inspired millions of American kids to
pick up guitars, etc... Back and forth, over and over.
Just as listeners on one side of the pond started to
tire of the status quo, here came someone with a fresh
slant on it. Eventually it becomes impossible to say
who was first, or who started a trend, because often
the catalyst was that MANY traditions were present at
the same in the same place, and something new came out
of the meeting. Fascinating, really; makes me miss
John Peel even more.

The way it relates to us as loopers is in crossover,
when techniques and equipment usually associated with
a particular style of music start showing up in
unexpected places. Not that long ago, it would have
been quite rare for a folky singer-songwriter to loop,
now they're sprouting up everywhere. We see rock bands
using turntables, and elements of "world music"
becoming more and more ubiquitous in the mainstream.

I was discussing this with a co-worker just last week:
how many Americans' first exposure to Bob Marley was
when Eric Clapton covered 'I Shot the Sheriff' 30
years ago?

-t-