Re: artists as outsiders

Richard Zvonar wrote:

> At 2:37 PM -0800 11/22/04, scott hansen wrote:
>
>> the debate of artists as outsiders was tackled back when i was in
>> grad school,
>> the debate is: are artists outside of society or are they a part of
>> society?
>> and the debate continues w/ are artists influenced by the goings on
>> in the world (influence from outside/external)
>> or are they the beacons from which change comes (somewhat internal,
>> and from this comes the debate of the avant garde, the forerunners
>> who change all, and from which most take 10 yrs to catch up to)
>> there's not really an answer, it's a bit of both, stuff comes in,
>> then goes out and becomes a cycle,
>

> All of the above.

here's my take on the inside outside binary as it relates to artists and
society.

firstly, all human beings are engaged in their society in a series of
couplings between our internal capacity, as manifest in external and
material action, and our external environment, as manifest in
internalised response imperatives.  the one drives the other, and so
forth, and hence the loop is embodied.

now the inside and ouside binary in relation to our social position for
me is identifiable by our tendency, as artists, to locate out capacity
for action at the edges of our internal knowledge, such that our
exchanges with society are always in rarified commodities, the products
of manipulating our environment during the loop between our extended
capacity and the limited materiality offered up the populace for the
strict purposes of aesthetic production.  not content with this limited
and overdefined palette, art has expanded into all facets of the human
being in order to conciliate the felt internal capacity with a material
circumstance we can call "our place".  we want the world to match our
imaginations.  the general populace, I would say, are less driven by
their imaginings of place than they are by the navigation with the place
they are given.  their coupled loops with society are based on the
simpler set of exchanges within the realm of survival.

not to be too facetious, but if we are as artists are in a coupled loop
with our society in momentary system exchanges at the edges of our
capacity, we are neither inside nor outside, but somewhere fair in the
middle in of the loop called being...

:)

hungover, and probably shouldn't be speculating...
-michael