From: Richard Zvonar [mailto:zvonar@zvonar.com]
Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2004 4:26 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: Dream Looping Venues?

At 9:19 PM -0800 11/26/04, samba - wrote:
>There' a guy in Seattle Tacoma area ,Stewart Dempster -experimental
>trombonist..I'm fairly certain he was the first to work with a
>didgeridoo in the US-He was doing it in the late 70s.He's got a
>recording called Live from the Cistern Chapel recorded in an old
>cistern in N.Washington.

Stu has been doing this sort of thing for a long time, either solo or
with other musicians. The cistern recording is with the Deep
Listening Band. The group in the 1988 recording ("The Ready Made
Boomerang" on New Albion) was Stu Dempster (trombone), Thomas Eckert
(voice), Pauline Oliveros (accordion), Panaiotis (voice), and William
O. Smith (clarinet).

The cistern project was actually the pretext for the formation of the
DLB. They've continued to explore naturally reverberant spaces as
they find them, but for most gigs they create their own
electroacoustic spaces. A typical setup relies on an 8-channel
speaker system, and early on the echo and reverb processing was done
with four Lexicon PCM-42 delays and four Lexicon PCM-70 reverbs. This
was later supplemented by a Reson8 DSP box, but I believe that these
days everything is based on MaxMSP.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com