Re: what a loop has to say

On Mar 16, 2006, at 8:14 PM, tEd ® kiLLiAn wrote:

> I make no judgment on others (or you in particular) for being another
> way. Actually, I feel that I am the one who is deficient here. I would
> love to be able to sit down on my guitar stool and think in the
> abstract . . . okay, I am now going to evoke . . . spring, a sunny
> day, lost innocence, memories of whatever . . . lost love, my dog, my
> truck, my doughnut, heheheh. Really!

I don't think you are being deficient at all. I think the desire to
apply a referenced "meaning" to a loop outside of the music is fine, no
judgment here either. But is the application/explanation of meaning
really what the music is about? If you are using lyrics it is one
thing. Lyrics reference the word-based meaning directly. But your lack
of desire to apply meaning to the abstract (your instrumental music),
my dear friend Ted, is...anything but deficient. If anything, I think
it is being more true to the music, by allowing the music to be itself
and to present itself to others on its own terms free of applied
meaning that might not only be meaningless to the audience, but even
take away from the experience... But now, of course, we get on to the
eternal discussion of programmatic versus absolute music...

-Jeff

Jeff Kaiser
http://www.jeffkaisermusic.com
pfMENTUM.com • AngryVegan.com