What a loop has to say...

There are several points that I surprisingly have not
seen brought up as to the inherent value of looping.
     I can expand my sonic palette, so to speak while
in the process. My expression is no longer limited by
the availability of other musicians.
     Also, and for me the most important aspect, is
the ability to place myself in an environment where
I'm "working without a net"- I sold all the gear I had
that had an "undo" or "erase" function to achieve
this. Once your in your in. No pussyfooting.
     I've played keyboards for over 30 years starting
with piano. The first stage is the "naive" phase where
you're getting your feet wet and there is a sense of
wonder in playing even (and because of) tho you have
no knowledge as to theory + technique. Simple things
sound great.
     2nd stage we try to gain control, technique and
understanding of the music process. We want to be
respected as "musicians" and learn theory to make
"sense" of what we're doing. A lot of the fun is
replaced with a sense of small strides +
accomplishments laboriously exercising muscles
repetitiously. At this point I was a victim of my own
cliches.
     3rd stage is the beauty. Technique becomes second
nature. All the knowledge + tools we've developed fade
to a place deep within us and we approach playing
music more like we did in the 1st phase where it was
actually exciting. No mental exercises. No being
clever. No illusion of control. And yet, we've
expanded our vocabularies so that we're capable of
much more but not bound by it.
     Years ago I became bored with everything I
played. I tried many ways to "jump start" my creative
process. I traded in my extensive midi keyboard gear
and opted to go back to pure piano ala Keith Jarrett
(not as good but who is?)-That was great for 10
minutes 'till I had the old nagging feeling that there
was still something missing. Sold the piano gear and
tried to play the stick with a midi hookup. This was
an attempt to recapture the naive 1st stage and
recreate my early learning process. Got frustrated
after 8 months and gained a new appreciation for my
keyboard proficiency.
     For me, music is discovery. It's exploration. I
create nothing but am afforded the privilege of being
a portal where the music can pass through. The music
is simply better than I'll ever be. Looping is about
fear and trust if I'm doing it right + keeping myself
(ego) out of it. There are no mistakes.
     I currently use a Boomerang+ and a Lexicon
Vortex. Sound sources are a Wavestation SR and a Korg
N1r. All this is triggered by a Roland AX-1 controller
(strap-on) with a ribbon. The ribbon is essential for
it allows me to achieve a more intimate contact with
the notes for vibrato, pitch bend, hammer-ons,
whatever. I always envied the string players ability
to "touch" the sound source. A trade-off I suppose,
for most guitarists I know try hard to "change" their
sounds which comes easier to keyboardists.
     I've gotten off track. Appropriate. Thanks for
letting me share. (:>
                     We loop because we can-
                                      Lee Maravel