Re: Best Cheap Guitar Synth

At 11:41 AM -0800 3/19/06, Kevin wrote:

>I want something that will take the guitar as signal and allow me to
>do synth-like manipulation of it.  I already have a GR-33 but the
>latency on fast passages drives me nuts.

The Roland VG technology can probably give you what you're looking
for, with no latency (since it processes the existing signal, rather
than using MIDI conversion, or "pitch-to-glitch" as it's occasionally
known.

The original Roland VG-8 has been going for pretty good prices over
on Ebay.  I picked up one a couple months ago for a little over $250
(excellent condition, and included a flight case and extra Boss EV-5
expression pedal).  I've seen 'em going for as little as ~$150 for
the VG-8 alone.  It requires a GK pickup, but I've seen used GK-2a's
passing for $60-90, which puts the whole setup at just a little over
your budget.

If you want to go a little cheaper, look for a Boss WP-20g.  It
includes some of the models from the later VG-88, and has some synthy
sounds onboard (unfortunately, it doesn't have an integrated filter).
It still requires the GK pickup, but only goes for about $90-120 used
-- which probably puts the whole setup under your $200 limit.

>>If you aren't into the midi thing, then running your guitar into a
>>distortion followed by a filter of some kind will do rather
>>nicely...
>
>This is kind of intriguing.  What do you mean?  What kinds of filters?

I can personally recommend the Line 6 Filter Pro (and, by extension,
the FM-4 stompbox).  It's not quite as good as a real analog filter
(ala Sherman Filter Bank or Electrix Filter Factory), but it's 90%
there.  Since it's a modelling processor, you've got a lot of
different algorithms to try.  Also, you've some of the models will do
monophonic pitch tracking and output synth sounds, although I think
you may get frustrated with the tracking on some of the fast lines.

Check it out on their website at
http://www.line6.com/products/detail/33/ .  The manual for the FM-4
is at http://www.line6.com/support/manuals/ , under the "4-Button
Stompboxes" section.